Many will complain that I should not put the Greatest Show on Turf in my series covering the NFL's greatest all-time teams. They will protest that I am being a homer. Don't do that until I skip the Patriots. Then you can call me a homer.
As we have heard many times, and many more this past weekend, the Greatest Show on Turf was probably the greatest offense the NFL has ever seen. It's the only offense to score more than 500 points in 3 consecutive seasons. Although it only resulted one world championship, we did make it to two Super Bowls. We should have won that second one.
What was the secret behind that amazing and astounding chemistry? How could they be that dynamic? Well, why don't you just have a good look at the general synastry picture here. I know my Pentecostal brethern Kurt Warner and Issac Bruce would not approve of this analysis, but let's set that aside for the moment.
Look at the number of key players who are water signs:
- Kurt Warner (Cancer)
- Marshall Faulk (Pisces)
- Issac Bruce (Scorpio)
- Ricky Proehl (Pisces)
- Orlando Pace (Scorpio)
Let's not forget about Dick Vermeil who is also a Scorpio. What about the rest? Well, Roland Williams, our much forgotten Tight End, is a Taurus. He goes great with everybody.
The most interesting fact about this unit is that Az-Zahir Hakim and Torry Holt are both Geminis, and they both had tremendous chemistry with Kurt Warner.
Sirus 1.1 says Kurt and Torry are totally compatible. Consider the following numbers.
1. Similarity of Interests and Temperament: 257
2. Mutual Success and High Achievement: 103
3. Problem Solving, Communication, and Mutual Understanding: 164
4. Mutual Kindness, Friendliness, Pleasantness, and Peace: 119
5. Aggressiveness, Competition, Power, Success, or Violence: 0
6. Adventurousness, Surprises, Disturbances: 172
7. Shared Creativity, Imagination, and Inspiration: 92
The story with Az Hakim is pretty good, too.
1. Similarity of Interests and Temperament: 371
2. Mutual Success and High Achievement: 31
3. Problem Solving, Communication, and Mutual Understanding: 9
4. Mutual Kindness, Friendliness, Pleasantness, and Peace: 192
5. Aggressiveness, Competition, Power, Success, or Violence: 39
6. Adventurousness, Surprises, Disturbances: 122
7. Shared Creativity, Imagination, and Inspiration: 36
What is the key to Kurt's outstanding chemistry with Gemini? First, Water and Air can mix with some difficulty. Second, Kurt is a 1st day Cancer. He was born right on the edge of Gemini. Finally, Kurt has a considerable amount of Air in his chart.
The offensive line is a remarkable mixture when you look at it. Gruttadauria and Nutten are 180 degree opposites, and you know the story about opposites. They attract and complement one another tremendously. Likewise, Fred Miller and Adam Timmerman are 180 degree opposites. Orlando was actually the odd man out on this unit, although he is all the more compatible with everyone else on the team.
Consider Coach Dick Vermeil (Scorpio) and Mike Martz (Taurus). They too are 180 degree opposites, and there was incredible dynamism between them. We were never the same after we lost Coach Vermeil. It was when these two were together that we had the best of the motivational disciplinarian and the mad scientist. Incidentally, both are super-compatible with their skill position players.
One more point: Martz (Taurus) is side-by-side with Hakim (Gemini) and Holt (Gemini) in spring time. This usually leads to good relations.
One of these days I am going to write a piece about what 1999 meant to me. It's crazy. It's so crazy, I still wonder if some of you will believe me. This is why I hesitate to blog about it.