Sunday, October 16, 2011

193.4...?

So the score a few moments ago was 193.4 English pounds on the Tanita scale.  WTF...?  The metabolic pranks continue to rage around here.  It seems that every day is April Fools day around these parts, at least when it comes to my body weight.

This is a really an astonishing fact.  Just 25 hours ago, the Bod Pod weighed me at 190.664.  Today, my weight has soared to 193.4.  That is a raw increase of 2.736 pounds, but we need to account for the differential between the scales.

On that subject, I should mention that my Tanita scale weighed me in at 191.4 yesterday morning.  As I just mentioned, scarcely an hour later, the Bod Pod weighed me at 190.664.  This would indicate that the difference between the scale has widened to 0.736 pounds.  This is almost as large as the 0.85 pounds it used to be.  Perhaps the Bod Pod is losing calibration, and needs maintenance again.

For the sake of argument, let's presume the differential is now 0.736 pounds.  This would indicate an increase of 2 pounds.  Incidentally, 193.4 - 191.4 = 2 pounds.  We have a check sum.  We can conclude that my weight went up 2 pounds over night.

On second thought, this increase is not hard to account for.  If I walked into the Bod Pod test dehydrated to the tune of 32oz of water, you would have your difference right there.  Since I cleared my intestines with Magnesium Citrate and some banana fiber, you can also cover some of that 32 ounce differential with waste products, which are mostly lean, and partially fat.

But this begs the real question.  Follow me on this one.  If most of this weight differential was water and waste products, my lean weight would have shown up +2 pounds.  I would have been measured at 148.95, not 146.95.  Would this have changed the results of my test significantly?  Here's the scoop:

  1. My total body weight would have decreased from 193.284 to 192.664.  This is a paltry loss of 0.62 of pound.
  2. My lean would have increased from 147.62 to 148.95.  This is an increase of 1.33 pounds.
  3. My fat weight would have decreased from 45.663 to 43.714 pounds.  This is a decrease of 1.949 pounds.
  4. My Body Fat Percentage would have decreased from 23.6 to 22.69.  This is a decrease of 0.91 of a percentage point.
  5. My body volume figure would have been anybody's guess.
The change in Body Fat Percentage would have remained >1%.  Still, I would have preferred to see that lean mass increase.  I did myself a real disservice by spending some 30 minutes in the saunas and taking a 1,000 mg of Tylenol.  Of course, this sheds water weight and kills inflammation, but this only serves to reduce your lean weight on the Bod Pod test.

The indicators are better, but still not good.  The indication is that my current workout regime has stalled, and is not producing good results anymore.  The recommendation remains:  Change your workout regime.  do something more intense.

I was not able to setup a CrossFit workout yesterday.  My first CrossFit workout goes down in just about 3 hours; 11:00am in Simi Valley, to be precise.  Still, I am very proud of the workout I did yesterday.  I kicked-off with a full-cycle ROM Workout.  I went to the gym later and did nearly 60 continuous minutes of exercise, only breaking for 30 to 60 seconds to move from one machine to another.  The total looked like this:

10/15/2011

Machine
Minutes
KCAL
Distance
1
ROM Upper
4
75

2
ROM Lower
4
75

3
ROM Abs
2
30

4
Club Elliptical 1
12
225

5
Rower
13
160

6
Club Elliptical 2
12
165

7
Treadmill
13
166

8
Bike
10
130

70
1,026.00
0
  
There are two different brands of Elliptical Cross-Trainers at my 24 Hour Fitness in West Hills.  The short black one is very, very challanging.  The resistance is high and the range of motion is wide.  The calorie totals are very high on the black one.  The second one is blue-grey, and seems to stress your core (mid-body) more than anything else.  It is far less challenging, and provides lower calorie yields.

I felt great after that workout.  It's great to know that you can burn for 60 continuous minutes at high intensity.  Incidentally, high intensity is defined as more than 12 kcal per minute of exercise.  Last night, I burned 846 kcal in just 60 minutes.  This is a global average of 14.1 kcal per minute.  I was pretty well drenched in sweat at the end of the workout.

Still, I woke up two pounds heavier this morning.  What does that tell you?