Rumor has it that Jake Query, a radio show host for 1260 AM Radio (WNDE) in Indianapolis, is spreading the word that Peyton Manning is out for the entire 2011 season.
Query reports that he has two reputable sources [whatever that means] who stated that Manning had third surgery on his neck either on Sunday or Monday. According to these reports, Manning will miss the entire 2011 season.
Colts owner Jim Irsay denied this rumor through twitter. He vows to clarify the situation soon. Ad meanwhile Peyton has absolutely confirmed that he is out for the opening game against Houston. Jason La Canfora says it will be more than just the first week. La Canfora is on the record saying Peyton will miss the entire month of September.
Jamie Dukes has routinely criticized the Colts organization for running without a back up QB. He often said they were playing a game of Russian Roulette. The Playmaker Michael Irvin has chastised the Colts for letting the team go this long without a good, strong, young, competent backup. I tend to agree.
Something a little like the worst case scenario seems have befallen the Colts this year. Of course, the worst case scenario is to lose Peyton permanently, and we aren't there yet. Hopefully, we aren't going there, or anywhere near there.
Still, I know the folks in Indiana are panicking big time.
Of course, I feel terrible for Peyton, one of the best men--in addition to the best player--in the league. We hope he gets better post-haste.
Still, I am glad I didn't make the Colts my favorite to win the AFC South. I knew something serious was up last year. Peyton just wasn't himself. Most reports indicated that he was not out on the field drilling during the lockout. That is most un-Peyton like. I knew something was wrong. Those stories were confirmed when we heard all these reports about two different surgical procedures on his neck. I knew this was bad, bad, bad stuff. Any surgery around the spinal column is dreadful stuff.
I am very interested in finding out what's going on here.