Saturday, September 17, 2011

Bod Pod X: Moderate Risk





So I had my 10th Bod Pod test this morning. It was pretty good. As per usual, it was not everything I had hoped, but (all things considered) it was a pretty damn good milestone. Just like Super Bowl X once was once regarded, this was the best one ever (thus far).

I apologize for the wet-spots on the paperwork, but I spilled some water on the documents.

In summary, the facts of the case are these:
  1. My total weight was 196.731, a little higher than expected, but a reduction of 7.003 pounds
  2. My fat-mass went down from 55.912 pounds to 48.964 pounds; a reduction of 6.948 pounds
  3. My lean weight decreased from 147.821 to 147.767 pounds. This is scarcely 0.05299 of a pound, or 0.86 of one ounce of loss. This is within the margin of error.
  4. My Body Fat Percentage decreased from 27.4% to 24.9%. This is a reduction of 2.5%, and just barely enough to move me into the Moderate Risk Category.
  5. Conversely, my lean percentage increased from 72.6% to 75.1%.
  6. My body volume decreased from 89.135 to 85.61 liters; a reduction of 3.525 liters.
Since I began testing with the Bod Pod on May 13th, 2011 I have done all the following:
  1. I have reduced my body fat percentage 19.2% from 44.1 to 24.9.
  2. I have lost 65.126 pounds of pure fat, down from 114.09 to 48.964 pounds.
  3. I have increased my lean weight 3.027 pounds. I am still net-positive on the lean weight front.
  4. I have decreased my total weight 61.92 pounds, down from 258.651 to 196.731 pounds.
  5. I have decreased my body volume 31.5 liters, from 117.111 to 85.61 liters.
As we were finishing the test, the fellow conducting my test related a horror story to me. He said he had just performed a test for a woman who showed virtually no change in a month of work. She burst out in tears and challenged the whole Bod Pod methodology. He then asked if he could introduce me to some people and show them my chart. I said "sure!" After all, what would I want to hide?

We walked over to where a television production crew was setting up cameras. Evidently, this was the crew of Extreme Makeover: Weight Loss Edition. The CHLI rep introduces me to a pack of three beautiful blonds. I was a bit shy. They were just two pretty. He shows them my chart and explains the situation. They congratulate me profusely. I took a bow. I was a little overwhelmed.

Of course, there was a connection point unstated there. I am sure the woman who cried was (is) one of the subjects of the show. I am sure she was pissed at her lack of progress and public embarrassing. I am sure he was bolstering the credibility of the method by showing me off. Still, it was fun. I got another ego stroke out of that.

I just need to stop being shy around the beautiful blonds. I am not the same old fat guy I used to be. People I know don't recognize me anymore.

One other factor: The Bod Pod was undergoing routine maintenance and certification yesterday. The crew was not undergoing training. Maintenance was the reason the Bod Pod was unavailable to me yesterday. Interestingly enough, I weighed in at 197.2 pounds on the Tanita this morning and 196.731 on the Bod Pod. The gap of 0.85 pounds has now closed to just 0.469 pounds.

Interesting... one day after routine maintenance the gap has closed from 0.85 to 0.469. My Tanita is closer to accurate than I originally suspected. The Bod Pod is a little less accurate than I suspected. In any case, the gap is there, but smaller than suspected.