Saturday, December 31, 2011

The Girevik is getting strong

Happy New Years to y'all out there.  Just a couple of quick notes before I get out there to see what's going on in Woodland Hills tonight.


  1. I'm holding pretty steady at 183-184 pounds.  I was one of the few people in America who weighed in 2 pounds lower on December 26.  I was 185.4 on Dec 23 and 183 on Dec 26.  I took no Sauna during that time.  Further, I took my Kettlebells with me to Fresno, and I used them plenty in my Dad's living room.  This all bodes extremely well for the New Year's Bod Pod.
  2. There will be a New Year's Bod Pod event on Jan 6th.  It's been quite awhile since the last Bod Pod, and it is time for me to see where I stand.  I think it is going to be quite positive.
  3. The Kettlebell training is going extremely well, and I am improving greatly.  I just had to purchase a 60 pound Kettlebell today because the 24 KG (53 pound) bell at my gym (Woodland Hills Athletic Club) is just too easy.  After swinging that bitch 25 time and Sumo-Chinning it another 21, I realized I was going to need a heavier bell.
  4. I was able to do the Halo with the 60 pound ball 5 times in one direction and 5 times in the reverse.  That is pretty good for day 1.  Not a lot of Gireviks are willing to Halo a 60 pound kettlebell.  This is hot.  It's manly.
  5. I was able to swing that 60 pounder for 3 sets of 15 reps.
  6. I also did Sumo Chins with the 60 pounder, nailing sets of 15, 12 and 10 reps.
  7. I am sure I can Swing and Sumo Chin a 70 pounder already.  I did it over at Busy Body's home fitness.  Next week, I will buy the 70 pounder.  Not many Gireviks are willing to work with the 70 pound cannon ball.  I'm hot.  I'm manly.
  8. I discovered the glories of the Hexagonal Deadlift bar this week.  I read a piece in Fitness-RX [that quoted results from a UCLA Medical research study on the subject of the Hexagonal Deadlift bar] which turned me on to this subject.  The study reported that the Hexagonal Bar immediately improves form, reduces unhealthy stress on the spin, increases lift leverage of the athlete, increases training weights, and generates both more rapid and consistent gains in strength and mass.
  9. Using the Hex bar, I deadlifted 270 pounds for 5 reps last Thursday.  I will do more Monday.
  10. I now routinely work with 6 x 45 pound plates on the decline press.
  11. I am now doing the clean and press exercise with the 40 pound Kettlebell.  I go all the way from the floor to the sky in two steps: Clean then press.  
And now for the dark side of the force.  I don't think my Carpal Tunnel is getting better.  It is getting worse.  Numbness is waking me up early in the morning, but it feels more like pain than numbness.  I wake up with pain in my hands despite the fact that I am wearing the cock-splints.  The inflammation is so bad it is visible.  I am forced to dunk my hands in a mixing bowl full of ice water to bring the inflammation under control.

I'm not to worried about the surgery, because I always believed a surgery was going to be necessary anyhow.  This kind of thing doesn't get better without surgery.  Once the doc fixes me, I'll shut it down for a bit.  Right now, I am concentrating on increasing my raw brute strength just as much as possible.

This is the price we pay.  Being this sexy is hard work.