Sunday, April 3, 2011

World-Class Mac-N-Cheese



Damn... I'm feeling pretty good n' happy right about now. I just made one hell of a Mac-N-Cheese. Possibly the greatest of my career. I am willing to call it world class. I did some pretty nice things with it.

The method was essentially the Thomas Jefferson Mournay Sauce approach which most people use, but I put plenty of wrinkles in it. Here is the list of ingredients I used:
  1. Herb infused canola oil (savory, thyme, rosemary)
  2. Chevre goat milk butter
  3. A little We Olive extra virgin olive oil
  4. Italian high-gluten #00 flour
  5. Spanish hot and smoky paprika
  6. Himalayan pink rock salt
  7. 90,000cu cayenne pepper
  8. Herbs de Provence
  9. Mustard powder
  10. 5 cups of whole Vitamin-D milk
  11. 1 cup heavy whipping cream
  12. 8 ounces Asiago cheese
  13. 5 ounces Parrano Unle Kaas cheese
  14. 3 ounces Manchego cheese
  15. Half of big red bell pepper, diced
  16. 2 Shallots, diced fine
  17. 8 small cloves of garlic, diced fine
  18. Panko bread crumbs
  19. Croutons.
  20. USDA organic Conchiglie macaroni
Basically, I went through the following steps:
  1. Mixed all my dry ingredients in a small mixing bowl
  2. Stripped the skins off my cheeses and used my mighty Cuisinart FP-14DC and shred my cheese.
  3. I boiled my pasta for 10 minutes. I wanted it slightly under-done, or super al dente. I strained it and let it rest. I wanted it moderately dry for the mix in.
  4. Pulled out my Duxtop 1800w induction cooktop
  5. Placed my 15 inch Lodge cast iron skillet on top of it.
  6. Began pre-heating the skillet. I tested the temperature with my laser thermometer to ensure we were hot. Never put cold fat in a cold pan. Everything will stick. Hot pan, cold fat, no stick.
  7. Drizzled my Canola all over a 455 degree pan, thus reducing the temperature slightly
  8. Threw in 2 ounces of Chevre butter, and swirled it around to encourage rapid melting.
  9. Thew in my veggies and Sautéd
  10. Once the veggies were slightly wilted and browned, I began stirring in the dry ingredients, making a roux.
  11. Stirred in the milk and cream.
  12. I kept stirring until I reached a measured temperature of 170 degrees. The laser told me I was at this temp.
  13. Reduced the the induction power and began stirring in the cheese to melt it.
  14. Stirred in the Conchiglie pasta, ensuring a complete mixing.
  15. Placed the entire skillet into a pre-heated 350 degree oven for 40 minutes, or until I had a nice browning effect on the top.
  16. Pulled it out of the oven, and let it rest for 15 minutes a bit before serving.
Folks, let me assure you that this is delicious stuff. I like the Parrano flavor so much, I think I will dump the Gruyère I normally use on a semi-permanent basis.

As you know I've been starved out with Gastric Bypass, and I am sure my doctors would have a mild heart attack seeing this comfort food monstrosity I have constructed. I needed this folks. I was pretty ornery this weekend due to caloric deprivation.