Wednesday, March 17, 2010

What a year a difference makes [sic]


The last time that title was true the year was 1999.

Well, Billy Devaney appeared on NFL Total access tonight, and I would be less than honest with you if I said I was thrilled by the contents thereof. I am glad he appeared. I am glad we got some information, but it was somewhat substandard.

What are the key points?
  1. When asked about Sam Bradford, Devaney said that he and everyone else in the league is waiting for March 29, 2010 so they can see Sam throw. This will be the final test. Devaney affirmed that Sam had passed all the medical examinations with flying colors. The medical reports are excellent. Sam is an impressive guy, and impressed everyone in the interview process. [No one in the general public has witnessed Sam throw since his injury occured in October of 2009 against Texas. He seemed enthusiastic, but guarded.]
  2. When asked about Ndamukong Suh vs. Gerald McCoy he said he and his staff could not tell the difference between the two. [I won't go there.] The staff is still looking for something that might create a little separation. They are slightly different in style, but equal in effect. They are high impact players, good character guys, and amazing athletes. He said, you can't go wrong with either one. Once again, Devaney was more active and alive when discussing these two DTs than he was when talking about Sam.
  3. When asked if he was open to a trade, he said that the Rams are like all teams drafting at the top: the team is open to anything. He is prepared to do anything that would help him to restock the roster faster. "Yeah, absolutely we are open to a trade."
  4. When asked how he was celebrating his St. Patrick's day, Billy said he was doing virtually nothing, outside of watching a bunch of Notre Dame tapes.
Egads! This last line scared the shit out of me. Let us hope he is evaluating Golden Tate, and Golden Tate only. Let us remember we have great needs at the WR position as well. Golden Tate is a very good prospect.

I have to be frank. I was more than horrified by the little joke. Perhaps I am taking it way too far, but at that instant I saw visions of us dropping down to #7, giving the Browns Bradford and us taking Clausen. Let us hope Washington or Seattle would save us from ourselves in such a situation.

I swear, if we draft Clausen, I am out. 30 years of Ramfandom will end at that very moment. I will not go through the next 5 failed years of this administration after this calamitous mistake.

Incidentally, there was a Ram scout at the UF ProDay. I saw him on videotape. He was no one I could recognize. Representatives from all 32 teams were present. Both Mike Tomlin and Mike Holmgren appeared to take a personal interest in Tim Tebow. I can show you Tomlin slapping Roethelisburger on the butt and telling him "You looked like Tim Tebow on that play." Why am I getting the hunch that the Steelers are going to take a shot at Tebow?