Tuesday, March 23, 2010

I think the new overtime rules stink

I got word a couple of hours ago that the NFL has adopted the proposed rule changes for overtime. So what is the skinny?
  • These rule changes impact the playoffs only.
  • Regular season ties will still be broken by sudden death overtime.
  • Under the new rules, if I win the coin toss and score a touchdown, I win. Sudden death.
  • Under the new rules, if I win the coin toss and kick a field goal, I don't win. You get a chance.
  • Under the new rules, if I loose the coin toss, and bust your ass for a safety... er... nobody seems to known what happens then.
How dare you try to win the game by kicking a field goal in overtime! If you want to win that way, you better do it in regulation clock time.

This is a fucking stupid change. It has been implemented because some sore looser in the NFL Marketing department did not like the outcome of the NFC Championship game. He did not get the storyline he wanted with Brett Favre.

Either harmonize the rules between College and Pro, or leave the sudden death system in place. Either we go to a system of baseball innings as in college football, or you cannot claim you gave both teams a chance. Of course, you will complain about your bloody 3 hour window, but I don't give a damn about the 3 hour window. If you do, go ahead and leave the current system in place.