Monday, July 26, 2010

StarCraft II Commeth...



Folks, you have not idea... StarCraft 1.0 was one of the great obsessions of my life. I lost most of 1998 and 1999 playing this game. I did not tune in to see what was happening with the Rams during the first 4 weeks of 1999, partially because I did not believe what was happening, and partially because I was busy playing StarCraft.

It's been 12 long years since the original arrived on the scene. That is enough time for the Koreans to have developed StarCraft as their national sport. The broadcast StarCraft tournament games on TV in South Korea. Champions win lucrative endorsement deals.

That is enough time for me to approach the ripe old age of 44. I was 31 early in 1998 when the original hit. Whilst I am excited about this release, I wonder if I still have the hormones to get jacked up about this game. Times change. My character and biology has changed a lot with it. Both arthritis and my prostate would make it a bit difficult for me to sit, hard-transfixed, for 3 to 4 hours locked in StarCraft combat. This used to be no big deal.

I wonder if I can still get into a video game at all these days. It's been years and years since the last time I finished a game. I finished Quake IV back in 2005. I promptly tossed it aside and forgot about it. It was fun, but I no longer had a passion for games. My sensibilities were changing with the dawn of mid-life.

I am going to purchase a license for StarCraft II. I am going to install it. I am going to try and get into this. I think I will succeed. Still, I wonder if a 44 year old man can get back into gaming again. I hope so.

If StarCraft II turns out to be as good as the original. You may not see me for the next two years. This could be another lost-time experience. It does come at an opportune time. This will prevent me from watching the Travesty (with a capital T) in progress in St. Louis.