Thursday, July 22, 2010

The End of the Deep-Off?

So, it has been the deep-off season for football in recent weeks. Contrary to the NFL Networks proclamations, absolutely nothing worth talking about has happened in weeks. Nothing is happening with Favre. Nothing is happening with Terrel Owens. Nothing is happening with Brian Westbrook. Jimmie Johnson on Survivor is not news.

I don't have the slightest idea why anybody even comments on JaMarcus Russell anymore. That guy's NFL career is already officially over. I mean full-time permanently over. If you are not a fool you know that by now. He is the last guy any sports program should ever talk about.

This is one of the key reasons why I have not said much of anything about football lately. Nothing is happening. When nothing is happening, you shouldn't bother to have a news program.

However, training camps will begin in about 4 days. I find that fact shocking. Here we are. Here we go again. It seems like the Deep-Off didn't last long at all this year. It's a stone's throw from camp to the Hall of Fame Game. Then we have rookies to look at, and 1st quarter evaluations to make.

So what do you expect this year, Dave? Absolutely nothing. Neither should you. This game is totally unpredictable, so empty your mind like a bucket, and make space for the new season. I picked up on the Saints early in the pre-season because they were dynamic, and I had no preconceived notions about who was what. You should act accordingly.

What are you excited about this season, Dave? Absolutely nothing. Nothing?!?!? I am not excited about anything, nor should I be. Arguably, I have less to be excited about this season than ever before. However, this is not a bad thing. This is a good thing. Having nothing to care about, in particular, helps me to empty that mind like a bucket, and make space available for the new season.

We'll see. I hope I can be more objective and more analytical this season than last. I hope I can be more realistic this season than last. I hope I can form a better case this season than last. That's about it.

I hope to duplicate my accuracy of prognostication from last season, but we shall have to see. It's hard to do so well every year.