Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Congratulations to Pat Haden



So the news just broke: Mike Garrett will be stepping down after 17 years as the Athletic Director of USC. Former Trojan and Ram QB Pat Haden will be taking over. I am very happy for you Pat. Congratulations! It just feels right. I think you are where you aught to be. I am sure you are the best guy for this job.

For those of you who don't know, Pat is a famous Rhodes Scholar from USC. He was their quarterback during the epoch of John McKay. They won three Rose Bowls and two national championships during his run. He went on to modest 6 year career with my Rams. Pat's career was interrupted for some 2 or 3 years by the arrival of Vince Ferragamo, who remains a folk hero in these parts.

There is some question regarding the departure of Garrett. It was a successful run, however, he leaves under a cloud. We all know the suspension USC is suffering right now. Sources say Garrett will be allowed to retire, but there are already plenty of whispers that he was pushed.

I disagreed with Pat Haden like crazy about Joe Montana, and I was a supporter of Ferragamo, but I never disliked Pat Haden. I have usually been a supporter of his. He is a good commentator, and he has always remained close to the USC Football program. I think this is a solid move.

Don't ask me why I am commenting on this subject. I am a Bruin. I was never a Trojan. I was Ram fan, but not anymore. I really should butt out.