Saturday, February 20, 2010

Rams and Bucs talking swap?

Reports are flying around that the Rams and Bucs are talking deal for the #1 pick overall. The deal has not been done. Nothing has been agreed to yet. The package sounds very strange to my ear.
  1. The Bucs get our #1 pick overall and they draft Ndamukong Suh
  2. We get the #3 pick in the draft.
  3. We get the Bucs 3rd round draft choice.
  4. We get a bench QB named Josh Johnson (6'3" 198 lbs San Diego University, Oakland Tech)
It is the name of Josh Johnson that seems so strange in these deal. Although the Bucs are currently hyping him as a Mini-Vick, I have no idea why we would want this kid. Sorry, but this kid is no where on the map of eligible starting NFL signal caller solutions. Frankly, I never even heard his name before, which means he is well under the radar. Unless we think he has what it takes to be a devastating receiver, and unless he is agreeable to the switch, I don't know why we would deal for him.

At this moment I would say 'NO' to this deal if I were calling the shots. I would demand the Bucs 2nd round choice, and skip the 3rd.

Moving to position #3 would be a chess move pregnant with significance. If we remain there, it would signify that we intend to select Sam Bradford just ahead of the Washington Redskins. This might prompt the Skins to try to do a deal to get ahead of us. It is a dangerous position to hold. I would attempt to move down further, dropping spots and accumulating picks. This may not be the Rams intension.

As I have mentioned in blogs before, drafting Bradford is a bad idea. He is a gracile and fragile QB, and we can't protect him, period. We may be in love with his abilities, but we will ruin him as we ruined Bulger.

What if the Rams were attempting to acquire a 3rd and a wildcat back to trade to Philly for Vick? This is an idea which has crossed my mind. What do we do with the #3 pick then? Do you still select Bradford, and try to improve the line for 1 or 2 years before playing him?

We'll have to see. I don't know what the score is at this point.