Monday, February 8, 2010

The Charger fans are choking and puking on Brees's Super Bowl ring

So, I just got back from lunch a few moments ago. Of course, I tuned into sports talk radio as I drove, I was interested in seeing what was up on this fine day. 570 AM was doing a review of the Super Bowl commercials. No need to listen to that. 710 AM had an NBA interview scheduled for this moment. No need to listen to that. I dialed in the Chargers' flagship station at 1090 AM, and I found the radio host in full-siege mode.

The host was under attack, and the stress level in his voice was palpable. Fans in San Diego are vomiting and retching and cursing the football gods with venom this morning. You see, they never should have let Drew Brees go. This was hilarious for me. In all my razor sharp focus on SB44 itself, I had never stopped to consider just what it might mean to San Diego if the Brees-lead Saints won the Lombardi. Life gives you these little surprises sometimes.

I would have thought the Charger fans might be satisfied with Philip Rivers. He is one of the top-ranked passers, and one of the most intellectual QBs in the game today. Without directly attacking Rivers, the fans insisted that they would have won the Super Bowl in 2006 if they had just kept Brees. They insisted that this proven winner would have gotten them a couple by now.

It is an interesting theory. Bress is a proven winner who resurrected both teams he has played for. But now the Charger fans are insisting that they are fans of a cursed franchise. They cannot win the Super Bowl so long as Norv Turner and A.J. Smith remain in command of this franchise. Kill them both! Kill them all! Off with their heads! So say the Charger fans. They seem convinced now that they let go of the key piece of their Super Bowl puzzle 4 years ago, and this is why they have choked ever since.

Nah, I just think they have had two choker coaches; that's all. Marty Schottenheimer is well know for his advanced expertise & doctrine of choking. Norv is getting to that level also; he will be there soon.

Maybe you should look for a better coach.