Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Sicilian message to the draft class of 2010

So, rumors from Adam Schefter, Chris Mortensen and Jason La Canfora declare that Steeler QB Ben Roethlisberger is going to be suspended for 6 games. The sentence can be reduced to 4 games if he cooperates with certain 'voluntary' requirements. Yeah, that's right, the new oxymoron is voluntary requirements.

I knew it was going to happen like this. I thought 4 games would be the real number, and I think that is the way it turn out, as history unfolds. I am not at all surprised by the timing. I absolutely expected it to be done on the eve of the draft. Those who expected the Commish to 'not spoil the celebration of the draft' missed the point completely.

This is a golden opportunity for the Cappo to send a Sicilian message to all the little kiddies who are about to be drafted tomorrow. He wants every NFL hopeful, especially those selected in the 1st and 2nd round, to put their little heads down on their little pillows tonight, and meditate on the fact that one of the super stars of the NFL just got fried (hard) by the Commish. This can happen to you! He wants this to be their final thoughts on the eve before the biggest day of their young lives.

I think it is a great message to send the kids. I am proud of the Commish for handling this thing smartly. I think this will have a disciplining effect. Those who can be saved will hear this message. The hardcore recalcitrants will have to be busted out of the League, as always. This is doubly important as the 2010 draft class continues to draw raves as the most important class since 1983. This could be the draft that sets the league for the next 10 years.

So I heard Colin Cowherd this morning disusing the Roethlisburger situation. His mantra was simple: Take advantage of the Steelers. You can't find anybody in this draft that will do what Roethlisburger will do for you. Make the deal. Give the Steelers 10 picks for Ben, if that is what it takes. My daughter's not involved in the case. If she was it would be different.

This is Cowherd in a nutshell. This is his classic a-moral stance in all its glory. Greazie sleazy! This is Al Davis's bastard child. Well, let's say I totally understand his position, I know it could work out for somebody, and I will not take his advice. I really don't want the serial rapist on my team. I don't want to be know as a fan of the team that cut a deal for the serial rapist. I don't want to be known as the guy who did absolutely anything to win. Let's keep our hands clean and find another way to win. I'll take my risks with clean living Bradford (preferably Tebow) and see what happens. Colt would also be good.