Saturday, July 30, 2011

218.2 on the Tanita: Another major milestone has fallen.

Just a few moments ago, I weighed in at 218.2 on the Tanita bathroom scale. Of course, this means the Bod-Pod will have me at 217.35 this morning. This means I have lost another 3.85 pounds since the last Bod Pod test. At the same time, I know I am more muscular now than a week ago. The shift in emphasis to strength and intensity over duration of aerobic exercise is paying dividends.

Call me foolish, call me irresponsible, call me a dreamer, but there is something a little bit magical about dropping inside 220 pounds. This is another one of those mythical boundary points in sports. In football, a guy who drops from 300 to 250 has gone from lineman weight to linebacker weight. A guy who drops from 250 to 218 has dropped from linebacker weight to Safety weight. In baseball, a guy who weighs over 220 might be considered fat; a guy weighs under 220 generally isn't considered fat.

There aren't many big safeties like Darren Woodson or Steve Atwater left in the NFL, and this is a shame. However, I now weigh less than either of these two legendary defenders at their peak playing weights. My body fat percentage remains a lot higher than their's was, and they are both taller than I am.

Still, you would be hard-pressed to believe that I weighed in at 330 pounds just 6.5 months ago. At least two people I've met in the past several weeks ain't buying my story. They think I am bullshiting them.

I once predicted that the 215 pound-point would be moment when people no longer viewed me as an endo-mesomorph. They would simply see me as a mesomorph. I may have been mistaken about that. That moment might have already arrived.

More importantly, I have now officially lost more than 34.136% of my body weight. Slightly more than a third of me is gone. My body volume should now be 96 liters. God only knows what it was at the start, however, my body volume has dropped 21.1 liters since 5/13/2011. That's a hell of a lot of volume. That's 10 x 2 liter Coke bottles, plus an additional 1 liter bottle, and some change. Imagine carrying all that into the Bod Pod chamber with you... and then not having it anymore.

Of course, the most important thing is that I no longer suffer any knee pain, and my mobility is great. Occasionally, I need to rub my right knee with a little Camphor/Menthol/Methyl Salicylate compound after a tough workout out on the treadmill; but this isn't all the time. Further, I have no use for the Lortab I was prescribed. I just don't need it anymore.

Incidentally, I am starting that treadmill workout out at 3.6 miles per hour and a 5.5 elevation. 21 minutes later, I finish at 4.0 miles per hour and a 9.5 elevation. I bet you can't do that. One of the guys at work bet me I couldn't do that without holding on to the handles, which is cheating. He lost his bet. I proved it. I've seen some shocked expressions when people see the incline level of my treadmill at the gym. Some never knew it would go that high.

There are other side-effects beyond pain relief. Yesterday, I saw that Taurus girl--the one I sent flowers on her birthday--in the hallway as I was leaving work. She was engaged in an animated conversation with another girl. They were positioned on the route to the elevator, so I had to walk past them to get out of the building. As I passed, she interrupted her conversation to give me a big smile, and a 'hi, how are you?'

This took me by surprising. People don't usually interrupt conversations so animated to greet a passer-by. Further, she's basically given me the cold shoulder for 3 months... ever since I sent her Carnations for her birthday. This was an unexpected event. Not knowing what to say, I simply gave her a silent nod and passed by.

Still not sure what to make of this event, however, it is theoretically possible she likes me better at 217.35 than 261.0, which is what I weighed on 5/10/2011. Of course, this far-fetched theory... I'm reaching at straws here.