Friday, December 3, 2010

A few ruminations on "the big game"


I am a Bruin. If you asked me to rate my level of excitement about tomorrow's UCLA vs. USC game on a scale of 0-100, I would answer 0. Zero? Yep Zero (0). ZERO?!?!? Why so low?

Well, let me tell you about that. Both teams have loosing records. Neither of us is bowl eligible, meaning we will both miss bowl season completely. The Trojans are on probation and have a poor record. We Bruins are just plan poor. This game has absolutely nothing to do with the PAC-10 title. This game has no significance on the national stage. The Trojans are coming off a loss to Fighting Irish. We are coming off numerous losses. Both teams are having years to forget.

Unless I miss my guess, this will be the most forgettable game in the entire history of the series. I, for one, am not planning to watch.

USC Trojans snark "You know we are going to win". Bruins try to peak my interest by asking questions like "So can we break the Trojans winning streak this year?" I don't want to get involved...

Terry Donohue says we will break the streak, but he is an ultra-homer and you know it. Chris Foster of the Los Angeles Times officially picked the Bruins by a score of 24-17 in Overtime. I don't know his background, so I can't account for his biases. I am pessimistic, as usual. Let's hope for the best but prepare for the worst.

Frankly, I am not at all pleased by the way this college season has unfolded. There have been many scores of disapointments in this year tained by the fragmentation of the Big-12, and the Cam Newton scandal.