Sunday, December 26, 2010

Farewell to Pomplamoose

For all those who watch football and drive a Hyundai Sonata, you couldn't help but notice the last round of Hyundai Sonata commercials featuring Christmas classics such as "Up on the House Top" and "Tingle Bells".

These videos featured a San Francisco Bay Area Indie Rock duo called Pomplamoose. Pomplamoose is composed of Natalie Dawn and Jack Conte. Natalie Dawn is a 10/29/1985 Scorpio and Jack is best know for demoing effects peddles for Electro Harmonics. Evidently, he does the video editing for those videos in the same way he handles the Pomplamoose videos.

I was annoyed at the high frequency with which these commercials were shown during the early run up to Christmas. I confidently predicted they had only 12 days left before the commercial series dropped dead. Then I felt myself strangely moved by the strange magnetic powers of the Scorpion. I have to admit, that's the best recording of "Up on the House Top" I have ever heard, and I am 44 years old.

Well... Today is the day after Christmas and Pomplamoose has been replaced by an intesely pitiful commercial of the Hyundai Sonata crossing the Golden Gate Bridge. That is intensely boring! Jeeze man... what are we going to do without our Pomplamoose commercials during football now?

If I were her Hyundai, I'd keep on rolling with Pomplamoose. You can find other seasonal tracks for them to do. Get them to do a New Years tune like Auld Lang Syne, or something like that. The strategy was good. They are a real cute couple. They communicate the message that all cute couples who want that first good family car should look at the Sonata.