Sunday, March 6, 2011

Too much Cam... Too much attention to the quarterback


Memorandum to the NFL Network: You guys are spending way too much time talking about Cam Newton, and far too much time focusing on the QB. Fix this. Reallocate your time to talk about some of the hidden positions like the offensive guards and the linebackers. We could use more focus on the running back class also.

Last year, you guys got me to play along with this game plan, because my Rams were in the rarest of all moods: they were set to take a QB in the first round. I was also in a rare mood, because my favorite kid in 2010 just happened to be Tim Tebow.

Not this year.

I know what you are going to say:
  1. It's a quarterback driven league
  2. Most of the teams at the bottom of the heap lack a franchise QB
  3. The fans whose teams are drafting highest are watching the most
Ergo sum, we should focus on the QB.

Oh yeah? Well over and against that I would tell the following:
  1. Carolina just took a QB in the 2nd round
  2. Denver just took a QB in the 1st round
  3. Buffalo claims that they are happy with Fitzgerald
  4. The Bengals are probably going to take a QB
  5. The Cards better take a QB, but they are signaling for a veteran free agent
  6. The Browns have Colt McCoy, and are happy
  7. The 49ers better take a QB, but I think they won't
  8. The Titans better take a QB, but I bet they won't
  9. The Cowboys are not taking a QB, period. Forget about it.
  10. The Redskins should take a QB, but I think they won't
So when we break down the top 10 drafting teams, I think there are only 4 or 5 that are likely to take a QB at some point in this 2011 draft. Over and against this probability is the fact that there are only 3 QBs worth taking in the first round... and that is being generous.

First, allow me to make a declaration: This is a bad QB year, and far worse than last year. I see a ton of great athletes, but I don't see many or any sure-fire franchise QBs in 2011. If you doubt this statement, why do you think so many were so desperate to see Andrew Luck (a red-shirt sophomore) declare for the draft? Why do you think so many who were so crushed when he refused to enter the draft? I'll tell you why: This is a piece of shit draft class when it comes to QBs.

The only two QBs I like in this draft are Jack Locker (U.Dub) and Andy Dalton (TCU). I also like Christian Ponder... up to a point. I would take these three guys. I would construct my offense around the first two. I would expect it to be a high efficiency offense also.

For some reason, I can't get comfortable with Blaine Gabbert. I should be comfortable with him. He looks pretty good in general. For some reason I can't shake, I just don't think so. I would not be comfortable selecting him. It could have a lot to do with the fact that he is a true 21 year old Junior, and 90% of these QBs go bust. It could be the fact that he is a true Spread guy, and he's going to need a good comfortable fit. There aren't too many of those in the NFL.

For reasons I have already stated, I'm not taking Cam Newton. He's a one season wonder, he's got red flags, and he struggled a bit at the combine. He's also a true junior... if that. You got a 10% chance if you take this kid. Cam just isn't on my draft board. He's not what I'm looking for. If you want to take him with the #3 pick in draft, you just go right ahead and be fucking stupid. God bless you, man.

Ryan Mallet looks great, but you know the drug allegations. He also bounced around from Michigan to Arkansas. If you want him, you take him. He's not on my draft board. I wish you good luck with your selection, especially since our business interests do not conflict.

This leaves one intriguing candidate on the board: Colin Kaepernick (Nevada). He's a 23 year old senior, he has all the athletic ability of Cam Newton, he has a good rep, more experience, and he seems smarter. He's going to be a development project, but I like him in general. I would consider Colin Kaepernick. He may yet turn out to be the steal of the 2011 draft. He may just be the secrete franchise-maker.

How unfortunate...

I sat down to demand more talk about offensive guards and linebackers, and I wound up writing about the goddamn quarterbacks. I want it to be know that Deacon Jones was right. Quarterbacks ain't no damn good to God or this country. If we are ever to have law and order in the West, the first thing we gotta do is round up all the Quarterbacks and shoot'em down like dogs. The world would be a better place if there were no Quarterbacks in it.

You know I played Nose Tackle, don't you?

We need to stuff all the quarterbacks in the world into a burlap sack and beat on the sack with a baseball bat.