Thursday, June 4, 2009

So I just had my second in a series of three injections of euflexxa

I have bad knees. The MRI performed by Dr. Robert C. Howard indicated that I have severe osteoarthrosis, a small tear the anterior horn lateral meniscus of my right knee, complete loss of hyaline cartilage posterior to the patella, a large subcortical cyst involving the medial tibial plateau and beneath the medial tibial spine. Both Menisci demostrate degenerative signal within.

Dr, Evan Bachner concured and decided I should be treated with euflexxa. Euflexxa is essentially pure hyaluronic acid injected into the joints. The purpose is to lubricate and inflate the cartilage... however much there is left of it. You have to take a series of three injections spaced exactly 1 week appart. You can repeat this every three months. Eventually, I will need knee joint replacement surgery, but not now, not at my age.

I really felt the right knee as the harpoon went in. Hurt like a sonofabitch. There are two injections. The first is Lidocaine to numb up the knee. The second is euflexxa. Euflexxa is a thick substance, and cannot be injected with a thin needle. They stick it in with a harpoon needle. They have to pierce the cartilage to inject it. Piercing cartilage with a harpoon needle is a painful proposition. This is the reason for the Lidocaine.

Unfortunately, the doc shoots me with the Lidocaine and then immediately follows with the euflexxa. He doesn't give me even 60 seconds for the Lidocaine to take effect. The consequence is that the knee is still very sensitive during the second injection. That hurts like an SOB. I think I am going to suggest a 60 second pause next time.

Still this is doing me some great good. The past two days (Tuesday Wednesday) I actually got to the point where I was forgetting about my knees and just walking normally again. Also, my times on the elliptical motion machine increased pretty dramatically. I actually did a pure 30 minute workout again.

Dr. Bachner was surprised by this. He says it usually takes a full week or two after the 3rd injection to begin feeling the effects. I can look forward to better things.