Wednesday, June 3, 2009

I'll give you a buck for every example of VB.NET code in this month's MSDN magazine

So, I just got my copy of the June 2009 MSDN Magazine. This is Vol.24 No.6 of MSDN magazine. Not one fucking scrap of VB.NET code anywhere to be seen in any code example in any article. They did some Cobra code... what the hell is Cobra? They did some IronPython code. This is reasonable, especially in connection with test projects. Overwhelmingly, the content articles are illustrated with code examples in C#. Not one fucking shard of VB code anywhere.

I dare you to find one example of VB code. I have promised my co-workers $1 for each example of VB they find. If they don't find any soon, I will broaden the offer to the entire world. They are rummaging through the mag right now with disconcerted looks on their faces.

I could be wrong, but I am pretty sure I am right about this. I flipped through this mag 3 or 4 times because I could hardly believe my eyes. Microsoft used to have an official bilingual policy... just like Canada. Everybody had to speak both languages. Everybody had to print code examples in both languages in any MSDN piece. Well, this may not be true anymore.

Based on this issue, it would sure seem that everything is ALL-C# ALL THE TIME in Redmond Washington.

Whilst I like XML litterals in VB, I have to say that I am pretty well pleased by the representation of C# in MSDN magazine. I pretty much love it. All it well. It is as it should be.