Sunday, September 19, 2010

The 255mm Miyabi 600D Gyuto


Back in August, I mentioned the fact that I bought into the Miyabi Fusion 600D line, which is an exclusive of Sur La Table. At the time, I thought it a stupid impulse buy. Then I fell in love with the blade. I thought it just might be the sharpest damn thing I had ever seen, despite my experience with Kyocera Ceramic blades.

Well, about a month ago, I decided to buy the Miyabi Fusion 255mm Gyuto. This was the very one in the reference article I sited. By that time, I had interacted with several expert Japanese chefs who encouraged me to try a great Gyuto. All of these gents own and use Santokus, but these are not their most preferred weapons. The Gyuto is their most preferred weapon.

Their perspective is clear: When it comes to knives, bigger is better. Bigger knives slash quicker and cleaner with less effort, not more. Big knives make big jobs small, and small jobs tiny. Far from increasing fatigue, they shorten all forms of work, preventing fatigue. This is a short summary of their viewpoint. They would have more to say, I am sure.

Having read such an awesome review of the Miyabi Fusion 600D 255mm Gyuto, I felt I would be foolish to spend more to purchase anything else. Hence I ran over to Sur La Table one day at lunch and purchased it.

To make a long story short, this purchase signifies the end of my relationship with Ceramic blades. Bigger is best. Big blades do shorten all forms of work, making big prep jobs child-play. I have never had an easier time prepping anything. I don't care whether it is stripping a pork butt for Red Beans and Rice, dicing Cilantro, or cutting Tagliatelli noodles, the Gyuto makes everything easier.

I have to say, this Miyabi Gyuto is finest blade I have ever owned or used in my life. I've got Misono UX-10, Wusthof Classic Ikons, Shun Classics, Victorinox, and Kyocera in my collection.

Unfortunately, big is something ceramic blades just can't do. The land of 250mm+ Gyutos is a land Cubic Zirconium will never see. You see, these blades have sharp size limits imposed by the nature of the material. Experts thought it a marvel when Kyocera was actually able to produce a 6 inch chef's knife. Latteral forces and normal wear and tear is supposed to break such long ceramics rather quickly. They are fragile.

My Miyabi is 10 inches. I can buy a 12 incher from Misono or from Masahiro. Kyocera won't be going there.

When you combine the size and weight advantages of these Gyutos with the strength of their steel and how easy it is to keep them sharp, the case for Cubic Zirconium falls apart. It just isn't compelling.

Word to the wise: Get yourself a kick ass Gyuto, 10 inches or longer. I personally would like to have a 270mm and a 300mm Gyuto. Either Masahiro or Misono will get my next purchase.

Hey Miyabi! Give us a 305mm Gyuto! We want more!