Saturday, July 11, 2009

Let me give you a small reason to get excited about the 2009 Rams Season

Meet Phil Trautwein.

Phil was the starting Left Tackle for the National Champion Florida Gators. The Rams signed him as an undrafted rookie free agent on 4/30/2009. Yep, those two sentences belong in the same paragraph together, no matter how unlikely that might seem. How the fuck did that happen? Let me make this seem just a bit stranger to you.

He was elected the first team all SEC Left Tackle. That means he beat out Andre Smith of Alabama for the honor. The guys who watched both of these Left Tackles most closely inside the SEC thought Phil was better than Andre. He was elected 2nd team Sports Illustrated All-American Left Tackle. He was given 100% grades against Kentuky and the Citadel. I saw him play many times. I remember being impressed with him and wondering where he would wind up in the NFL

So why the fuck wasn't Phil a 3rd round draft pick? ...at worst? Well... that isn't easy to explain. The experts focused on the fact that he was not the blind-side protector at Florida. Remember, my boy Tim Tebow is left-handed. Tim faced Phil in the pocket. They focused on the fact that Phil is a converted Tight End (so too is Jason Smith, 2nd pick overall). They focused on the fact that he missed most of 2007 with a stress fracture in his right foot.

It doesn't make any sense. Phil should have been drafted in the 7th at the very least. Every year there about 20 guys, who are great players, who are absolutely overlooked in the draft. Need I remind anybody about Kurt Warner or DeMarco Farr? These guys wind up starting in the NFL. It happens every year to nice guys, with no criminal record, who are smart, and work hard. This proves that nice guys start last, although they may finish first eventually. Non-flashy guys just don't get noticed, and they fly under the radar. You just forget about them come draft time. Its stupid.

I had no idea he was on the roster. I discovered him in a bizarre fashion. I was watching the 1981 America's Game documentary about the 49ers. They were talking about the massive impact Hacksaw Jack Reynolds made on the 49er defense. Jack wore #64 through his entire career with the Rams and 49ers. I wondered which bum was wearing Hacksaw's number these days in camp. I was wondering if anyone worthy of the number would emerge this season.

Much to my shock, I discover that #64 has been issued to Phil Trautwein, rookie free agent Left Tackle from the National Champion Florida Gators. The guy who covered my boy Tim Tebow... The very quarterback I want the Rams to draft in 2010.

I studied him quickly. I am excited. If we cut him, we are beer-league organization. If we don't start him at Left Guard, we are missing a serious opportunity to upgrade our offensive line.

Those who know me know I have been bitching about our offensive line for two straight years now. I was excited about the acquisition of Jason Brown. Bulger shouldn't get hit in the face by blitzes up the middle on a simple 3 step drop anymore. I was totally fired up over the acquisition of Jason Smith. Maybe we have the successor to Orlando Pace, or Jackie Slater. It is unclear whether Jason Smith will be the Left or Right tackle. Right now they have him penciled in at Right. Phil Trautwein makes 3 solid acquisitions in my mind.

They say bums off the highway can play guard in the NFL. I deny that categorically. Unfortunately, the Rams frequently staff the team as if they believe in this theory. If you believe this theory, there is no reason why you shouldn't pencil Phil Trautwein in at the starting Left Guard. Just give him the job. He is certainly better than a bum off the highway.

I am starting to relax about the line for the first time in about 30 months. I think we might have 4/5ths of an offensive line. I think we might just be able to make a go of it now. Usually, the line begins to harden at 80%. The other four solid men can cover for one weak link, who will almost certainly be Ritchie Incognito.

I should mention, in passing, that I was shocked when I saw that Marshall Faulk did not rate Steven Jackson in his list of the top 5 running backs in the NFL. I have no idea how that happened. Some of the bums he put on that list aren't strong enough to carry Steve's toilet paper.

If we have the line I am beginning to think we have, Marshall may have some explaining to do at mid-season.