Tuesday, December 20, 2011

HBO cancels Hung?!?!?!

When I decided to subscribe to the NFL Super-Fan/Prime Ticket this year, DirectTV decided to toss in a free 3 month subscription to HBO as a gratuity.  I was grateful.  Although I find these subscription channels to be extremely thin on unique content, recycling the same thing over and over again, I do like to catch up with their antics every couple of years.  

It had been more than 4 years since the last time I subscribed to HBO.  There should be something new on

Well, I was quite surprised to discover that that something new was a series staring Thomas Jane called "Hung".  Jane plays the title role, and is the 40-something Pisces gigolo king of Detroit... replete with a giant penis, which is the key to his success.

My only complaint is that the casting is astrologically faulty.  If the producers knew anything about astrology, they would understand that Pisces dudes cannot be gigolos.  The Libra guys have a natural monopoly on this business.  All male Libras are natural-born gigolos (on the inside).  If you don't believe me, ask David Lee Roth.  He's a 10/10 Libra.  Jim Rome can also be some help on this question.

Anyhow, I started watching this series and I found it hilarious.  It did lose it's critical path and get mired in confusion during the final third of this season, but this mattered little to me.  I figured the writers just needed an off-season to plan and recharge their batteries.

Unfortunately, HBO did not see it my way.  The second the tranny client showed up, the viewing audience plummeted.  I wasn't particularly fond of that subplot either, but I passed it by.  Rather than recognizing that the writers stepped over the boundary-line, even for this insane series, HBO simply interpreted this moment as the natural death of audience interest in the show.  There will be no season four.

I am disappointed.  This is one of the few unique and daring comedy ideas in the past 20 years of television.  Rather than simply accepting that there are some boundary points you can't cross, even in a series like this, and making a few adjustments, HBO simply decided to kill the series.

I hate to say it, but they just killed the only reason I had to continue my subscription.  You had me on the line for more money.  Now you don't.